Friday 10 June 2011

Feel it in my Crohn's

This past week has been a bit hit and miss Crohn's wise. Work has been a bit easier as i'm slowly remembering how to do my job. Thankfully it's also been fairly pressure and stress-free and really the only one putting pressure on me is myself. Learning to accept I can't do some things as easily as I used to before I became ill and that I have to take things a lot easier has been a bit of a chore. 
Sometimes even carrying the shopping back to the house makes me feel like an absolute weakling, and the Nicholls family trait of acting like a martyr when it comes to illness occasionally comes into play and I start punishing myself for my own shortcomings. 
One of the most frustrating things about Crohn's is the unpredictability of it. I can feel fine in the morning, make plans, look forward to the day ahead then have a bite of lunch and feel awful. Then the only place I want to be is in my bed under the covers feeling sorry for myself. Obviously in most cases this is far from possible and I just have to carry on regardless. Come to think of it, there really should be a law passed making it compulsory  to have beds situated in alloted areas around the globe to be used in Crohn's-related-snoozing-emergencies. Bear in mind I haven't really thought this idea through and there is a high chance this could be taken advantage of. Mainly by homeless people and nymphomaniacs alike :(
Things are much better now than they were this time last year when I was in constant pain. Now it's just occasional depending on my mood/what I eat/the days activities/stress levels etc etc.
I can pretend that i'm 'normal' most of the time now, which Crohn's or no Crohn's is always a novelty. 



4 comments:

  1. The unpredictability is hard to adjust to, it tool me a while to feel comfortable changing plans based on how I felt. Like the idea of beds dotted around if the nymphos weren't homeless! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yeah needless to say the idea needs some work..
    It's been hard but has shown me how amazing my family and friends are for adapting to my new Crohn's lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of strategically placed beds! It is so difficult having to cancel plans at the last minute. I know I lost friends during my teen years because of this. Fortunately I have a group of fantastic friends now and it just isn't an issue any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true - becoming ill has really opened my eyes to who are true friends! The ones who listen and don't judge - and try to understand! Which I am VERY grateful for! :)

    ReplyDelete