Saturday 30 March 2013

#HAWMC Day 12: Hindsight

If I could go back in time and talk to myself on the day of my diagnosis, there are a few things I reckon i'd say.
I'd start by trying to calm myself down. Although knowing how easily I can get myself worked up into a frenzy, thats much easier said than done.
I'd tell myself to listen carefully to the doctors and not to be embarrased to ask questions. I'd tell myself to write everything down that I wanted to know and not to leave the hospital until I was confident I was well enough to manage on my own.
When you are first told you have a crohnic illness it can be a baffling time. More so in the cases where you don't have the first clue what the illness you've just been diagnosed with is. It can be terrifying and intimidating and you can feel ashamed and apprehensive about the future.
If I had a TARDIS (and the right kind of Doctor to operate it), i'd go back to that fateful day and tell myself to allow time to get to grip with my condition. To calmly explain Crohn's to my parents so as not to panic them, and to rest, and let the doctors help me. Not to get irritable with the people who care as I will need them in the months and years to come.
I'd also tell myself that although the future seems bleak at the minute, it will get brighter. That may take a tad more persuasion right enough. I'd let myself cry and then pick myself up and get myself ready for the tough fight ahead. I'd remind myself how strong i'll become and that I underestimate myself. I'd make myself believe it, because more than anything else, all people who love you can do is remind you how amazing you really are.



This post was written as part of WEGO Health's 30 posts in 30 days #HAWMC

No comments:

Post a Comment