Thursday 31 December 2015

Reelin' In The Rears

It’s that time of the year when we begin to reflect on the past 12 months/drink too much/worry about not having anyone to kiss at midnight/contemplate suicide. Depending on your viewpoint, this ‘reflection’ can involve getting drunk and internally screaming THANK GOD THAT’S OVER (usually my favoured option), or perhaps fondly remembering what has gone by with affection and gratitude.

For me, this year has been difficult, stressful, painful, and WONDERFUL.

2015 began, as most years do, in January with me having been nominated for 4 WEGO Health Awards. I made Finalist in two categories! Beyond my wildest expectations and an honour to be listed among some amazing health advocates!  It was also a joy to see some of my favourite IBD writers take prizes. Very proud to be amongst others raising awareness on such a grand scale.
This past 2months I’ve been nominated in the UK Blog Awards, and for Healthline’s Best Health Blog of 2015. A thrill and a lovely end to a busy year! I don’t expect to win either of these as they are fiercely fought contests, but again I am delighted to be listed amongst such talented individuals!

In May I started my Infliximab treatment. This is the first biologic treatment I have been on, so naturally I was very apprehensive. After bombarding my IBD nurses/consultants with a million and one questions I braved my first infusion. I always prefer to be independent around my health but this time I must admit I was afraid and felt alone. However the treatment has proven successful and is keeping any active disease at bay. I am still floored from time to time and struggle in the weeks leading up to my infusions but so far so good. I understand this intestinal bliss won’t last forever, but I am enjoying it while it does nevertheless.

In August my lovely Mum turned 70! We celebrated with a lovely lunch together with my brothers. She is as vibrant and full of life as she was when I was a child and I am proud to call myself her my friend as well as her daughter.

In September my beau and I celebrated 10years together. A decade with the man I love. By no means has our relationship been a smooth ride, but who can say spending 10 years with someone ever is? Love changes and grows as you get older and I adore living through that with him. 

In October, after a long hiatus due to fear of rejection, I finally started to receive responses from my having sent away my finished manuscript. My book on my life with Crohn’s Disease  was accepted by 3 publishers and I’ve signed with a fabulous and friendly publishing house who are planning to release my book in Summer 2016! I am still in shock to be honest. Every step of the process is more intense and exciting than the last and I am relishing being such a close part of the books’ development. So thrilled for you all to read it – my life and bowels are in that book, and messy as that may sound, I hope that helps even one of you in dealing with your own defunct insides.

In late December, we added a new addition to our growing menagerie (of two humans and two cats) – a massive dawg. His name is Lucky and he’s had a tough old life for his mere 3 years. He’s the softest and sweetest dog on the planet and that’s coming from a well-known cat lady. We are going to give him a great future in a happy, loving home.

So as I head into 2016 I have lots to look forward to and lots to keep me pushing forward. Thanks to all of you for your continued support and love, and know that it’s reciprocated fully. But please, one more restraining order and I’ll be arrested. Happy and healthy New Year to you all, I love you! xox


1 comment:

  1. I am seriously so excited for your book! Thank you for the new year video message too ;) xx

    ReplyDelete